The Abbie DeLoach Foundation (ADF) announced their scholarship winners for 2020, awarding funds to students in nursing, athletics and more.
This foundation was founded by friends and family of Abbie DeLoach, a Georgia Southern University nursing student who passed away five years ago along with four other classmates in a seven-vehicle accident on I-16.
DeLoach’s friends and family created the foundation “to give back to others with a focus on Abbie’s main interests: education, athletics, world missions and nursing," according to their press release.
“Abbie had a big heart, and she loved God. With her foundation, our family and friends are honoring Abbie’s memory and the impact she was making on other people’s lives,” said her father, Jimmy DeLoach, in the press release.
Jimmy DeLoach also added that due to COVID-19, their April 24 luncheon was postponed and that they are working with Memorial Health to build morale and help their nurses.
“The ADF seeks young adults who have the desire and the ability to push themselves and achieve what others might consider impossible. That’s why one of our top priorities is to recognize students and athletes who strive to do better and make a positive impact," Jimmy DeLoach said in the press release.
This year's scholarship winners are:
- Compassion Christian - India, Home for women
- Compassion Go Medical Ecuador - Caroline Gilbert and Courtney Schilling
- Compassion Go Medical Zimbabwe - Maria Kayondo and Becky Battle
- Georgia Southern Athletics - Trevon Locke and Lacy Robins, Statesboro High School
- Georgia Southern Nursing - Allison Miller and Abigail Miller, both from Dallas, GA; Jerral Mayes, Calvery Baptist and Monica Dutson, Savannah Arts Academy
- Savannah Christian - Gracelyn Cobb and Justin McInnis
- Savannah State - Sadrea Mabry, track and field sprinter and Dylan McCloud, football offensive lineman
- SCCPS Athletics - Tybee Maritime Academy
- SCCPS Medical - Johnson High School
- University of Georgia - Faith Henry
- Alumni Highlight - Reed Ely
For more information about the foundation, visit their website at www.abbiedeloachfoundation.com.