Georgia Southern University's men's basketball coach has agreed to a contract extension with the university.
The new contract will keep coach Mark Byington with GS through the 2021-2022 season.
GS Athletic Director Tom Kleinlein briefly spoke about Byington's success on and off the court in a press release.
"When you look at the success Mark has had on the court in combination with his academic success, we knew we needed to keep him in Statesboro," Kleinlein said in the press release. "Every one of the players he has coached has graduated, and he's won almost 90 games in five years against a tough schedule. That kind of production on and off the court certainly needs to be rewarded, and we're excited to announce this extension."
In his five seasons at GS, Byington has gone 86-70 with 51 wins in his first three season making him the best coach at GS in the modern era according to the press release.
Byington has also had success off the court, as every senior has graduated since he took over the program in 2013, according to the press release.
Byington's annual base salary will be just over $282,000
Byington has the following incentives in his contract:
- If the team achieves an academic performance rate of 985 or higher then Byington will receive a one-time payment equal to 50 percent of his monthly base salary
- One-time payment equal to six percent of annual base salary if the team places 3rd in the conference
- One-time payment equal to eight percent of annual base salary if the team places 2nd in the conference
- One-time payment equal to 10 percent of annual base salary if the team places 1st in the conference
- Byington will receive a one-time payment of $2,500 if the team wins at least one game against a top 50 RPI team.
- Byington will receive a one-time payment of $2,500 if the team wins at least 20 games in the regular season.
Post Season Appearances:
- Byington will receive 50 percent of his monthly base salary if the team appears in NCAA post-season competition or in the NIT.
- Byington will receive a one-time payment of 10 percent of his monthly base salary for each round the team advances in the NCAA.
Coach of the Year:
- If Byington is named Sun Belt Coach of the Year he will receive $1,000
- If Byington is nominated for any National Coach of the Year award he will receive $2,000.
If Byington is terminated for any reason by the university the university will continue to pay Byington the amount of his annual base salary at thew time of this termination divided by 12 for the remainder of the term of this contract, which ends on April 30, 2019.
If Byington terminates the contract during the term of the agreement, he shall pay the university the amount of $75,000.